Tuesday, September 11, 2007

SUPER STAR

On one of the assignments that I gave my students I wanted them to tell me a little bit about themselves. One of the questions is: I want to be a ______ when I grow up. On a couple occasions I have received the answer "super star!". I love this answer, and it makes me smile.

I wouldn't normally write about a stereotype. But sometimes there is a reason that an idea becomes a stereotype in the first place. I realize that last sentence is not politically correct. But in this case I feel it's harmless.

Thai people love to sing! It is no secret that Asians love karaoke. They really do! I've seen this firsthand. I've mentioned before that at the end of class students ask me questions about my self. One time it was requested that I sing 'I will always love you'. The one by Whitney Houston. I gave them a little glimpse of the chorus and then I started to laugh and told them I didn't know the rest of the song.

The girl I live with sings to the same mixed CD of music in English every morning as we get ready for school. It's an array of Britney Spears, Robbie Williams, Backstreet Boys, an Allison Krauss knock off, and her personal favorite (cause she tells me often) The Scorpions 'Winds of Change.' I whistle along. The kids at school sing all the time too. They sing at times that I wouldn't feel were socially appropriate to be singing. It's a bit awkward at times. Last Thursday a big sound system was brought to lunch by faculty. A big crowd gathered around as different students took their turn singing their favorite tune. I'm not making this up, and I got it on video. I'm excited to share it.

It just so happens that as I type the girl next to me is singing in my ear. She actually inspired me to write on this particular subject. Particularly because when this said singing is going on, it's quite often off key. She is singing loud and proud! I had an epiphany the other day though. Thai is a difficult language to learn. One word can be said 10 different ways. The tone is completely foreign to me. So this led me to believe maybe they are right on key and it's my ear that is deaf to their tone? I don't know the answer, but in the meantime I'm going to continue listening as my friends carry on in their quest to become super stars.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I love your stories--you have such a great way of writing, I feel like I am there!

amanda said...

Hey Lisa! I miss seeing you around and getting updates on your life so I guess your blog can fill in the gaps! I'd love to see some pictures of your adventures.