Sunday, September 23, 2007

JOHN WAYNE


When I first got to Thailand I read that 60% of Thailand's wealth is in Bangkok but only 10% of it's population resides here. After spending the last month in rural Thailand, it puts that statistic into perspective. Something as simple as children wearing diapers causes me to do a double take. Diapers are the last thing most people here can afford. I myself feel a little remorse. The 3 nights in my hotel are costing me more than I have spent in the entire past month. And that's including 2 separate hospital bills. After coming from my humble corner of Thailand it's difficult to not feel over indulgent.

Sometimes I wonder how to describe American culture. I know it's there, but what exactly is it? I particularly wonder when immersed in another culture completely different from my own. Thai culture is so prevalent.

Yesterday I went to the Chatuchak weekend market here in Bangkok. It's a gigantic flea market. It's easy to get lost in it. I did get lost. You can buy anything and everything you would never want or need there. It was here in the nooks and crannies that I got a taste of familiarity.

The first who caught my eye was a blind Thai man. His hero is Mr. T and was dressed just like Mr. T would dress. He had a Mohawk and a plethora of jewelry on. He sells belt buckles at the market. Next were the 3 Thai men I saw selling country western attire. One was playing the Banjo, and 1 was slapping some spoons on his thigh. All 3 were dressed in Wranglers, Cowboy boots, Cowboy hats, and button down plaid shirts. I started singing a John Cougar Mellencamp song in my head. I don't know the name or any of the words. But the chorus says 'Oh, but ain't that America, for you and me'. Right then and there I saw my culture displayed by another. It was awesome.

No comments: